Problems Caused by Depression
When someone is affected by depression, the symptoms can affect every aspect of their lives – at home, at school/work, and socially.
Negative Effects on Working Life:
Depression can produce various problems that may affect working life, including:
- Difficulties with concentration, decision-making and memory
- Excessive anxiety and lack of confidence
- Disruption of working relationships
- Repeated absenteeism/sick days (for physical or emotional reasons).
Negative effects of the emotional aspects of depression (low mood, restlessness, irritability, etc.):
- Problems with personal relationships
- Lack of interest in daily life, personal appearance, etc.
- Short temper, with a low tolerance for others
- Breakdown of family life
- Anxiety disorders, or alcohol/drug dependency
Depression is often closely related to alcoholism and drug addiction.
The physical effects of depression (fatigue, poor sleep, aches and pains, etc.) can lead to:
- Lack of energy for everyday tasks
- Excessive exhaustion after small amounts of activity
- Worsening of existing medical conditions